Abigail went back to preschool this week. The school is doing a lot to minimize the spread of Coronavirus. This is her last 5 weeks of preschool and Step One School has been amazing to promote her growth! I am truly bothered that the pandemic robbed Abigail of part of this experience. At every pick-up, I was learning more about how to become a better pediatric occupational therapist and dad!
Megan and I are going back to work in what will assuredly be a “complex” working environment in about a month in the school, so we welcome the quiet prep time. To give you a taste, here’s the update from her main teacher on the first day back:
Dear Room 1 Families,
We are in the midsts of having such an amazing day back at school. It has been so wonderful to feel the love, joy, and energy of the kids being back.
Our day started at circle, where they met our pet “Queenie”. Ask your child if they can remember what kind of snake she is. She was also feeling shy and nervous, which helped some kids feel better. Here is a picture from circle. We went over some of the new procedures. Ask them if they can remember some of them, like where do they put their toy when they are done or what airplane arms mean.
After circle the kids were so busy playing around the room. Some of the activities were:
- Making placemats
- Playing with their own ball of play dough
- Building with Magnatiles
- Playing in the playhouse
- Playing with the trains
- Listening to stories
- Swinging on the rope ladder
- Jumping onto the pillows
- Playing at the water table
- Building on existing friendships and making new ones
After playing inside we headed up to the deck for snack. Here is a picture from snack time.
After snack was our first outside time. Some of the activities outside were:
- Washing babies in the water table
- Swinging on the swing
- Playing on the monkey bars
- Riding the bikes and scooters
- Playing under the gatehouse
- Playing in the waterfall (ask your child if they were part of the big leaf removal at the waterfall)
After our outside time we were back to the deck for lunch and to listen to a story. The kids had fun using their placemat that they had made in the morning. After lunch is another outside time and nap time for a few (more rolling around than napping so far). That’s a summary of our day so far.
A few reminders:
- Please remember to sunscreen your child in the morning. We are doing it when we first come out.
- Please send your child with a hat. We have the sun shades around the yard but a hat could help.
- Check in with your child about how they felt about being at school. It’s a big change for all of us.
We are so excited to have your child in our class and look forward to all that is yet to come. Please email us (please cc all of the teachers) if you have any questions.
Steve, Raquel, and Leticia