| club ( P ) Pronunciation Key (klb)
- A stout heavy stick, usually thicker at one end, suitable for use as a weapon; a cudgel.
- Sports. An implement used in some games to drive a ball, especially a stick with a protruding head used in golf.
- A black figure shaped like a trefoil or clover leaf on certain playing cards.
- A playing card with this figure.
- clubs (used with a sing. or pl. verb) The suit of cards represented by this figure.
- A group of people organized for a common purpose, especially a group that meets regularly: a garden club.
- The building, room, or other facility used for the meetings of an organized group.
- Sports. An athletic team or organization.
- A nightclub.
v. clubbed, club·bing, clubs
- To strike or beat with or as if with a club.
- Information Theory To gather data objects together in groups.
- To use (a firearm) as a club by holding the barrel and hitting with the butt end.
- To gather or combine (hair, for example) into a clublike mass.
- To contribute to a joint or common purpose.
- To join or combine for a common purpose; form a club.
[Middle English, from Old Norse klubba.]