After getting ready to be very mad at D-Link for selling me hope (only to have that hope dashed against the rocks of not-working-ness) I am happy with my new sexy little D-Link DWL-122 Wireless 802.11 USB adapter. Isn’t it just the cutest thing you ever did see? You see, I’m all excited because this is pretty much the first thing that I bought outright for Computer Guy. And hey, how often do you get to use so many buzzwords in the name of a thing… “D-Link DWL-122 Wireless 802.11 USB adapter”. Oh yeah.
I was about to send the darn thing back when I figured out what was going on… It’s really very simple. The channel I was on had too much static. I switched the router to channel 2 and it worked just peachy. Before that, I’d get terribly sporadic service… on for 5 seconds, off for 5 minutes.
Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr. No, that wasn’t it. I moved 200 meg of data with it, now I can’t get a connection again. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
GRRR2. Maybe it IS it. I changed the channel to 3 and BOOM, it works ok now… GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR.
OK, now I upgraded that laptop (a Gateway Solo 3100) computer to XP and when I reboot, the adapter works right away. So it LOOKS like if I have Win98 SE on the laptop and I change the channel on the router while the laptop is turned on, the laptop will get a connection. If I have XP, the connection will work right when I turn it on. Of course, I can’t test the Win98 hypothesis on this computer any more because I’m not going back just for a silly test.