Archive for the ‘Wordpress’ Category.

New Font on Lee.org

I had been using Verdana (with a fallback to Arial and Sans-Serif) on the blog, now I’m using Open Sans (fallback to Sans-Serif) from Google Webfonts. What do you think?

Last week I tried using Vollkorn from Google Webfonts. But it was too curvy and loopy. My eyes tired quickly winding my way across the screen. I think Open Sans is the slider hamburger of fonts, it just slides right down your… umm eyes. eiw. Ok, bad analogy. ;-)

WordPress Plugins

Here’s a boring geeky list of what makes Lee.org run.

Currently disabled…
* Login Lock. Works but Google Authentication works better (I think)

* Social
* Twitter Tools
* WPBook Lite. I replaced these 3 with Twitterfeed this week.

* Spam Free WordPress – By Todd Lahman, LLC It helped decrease comment spams but my current solution is working better

* No Adverts for Friends  By Donncha O Caoimh – it looks like it broke a while back :-(

* Maintenance Mode By Michael Wöhrer. Hangs in the wings in case of spam hack attack or something.

Welcome Back Twitter Readers

Apparently my Twitter feed broke in late September. Well, I just fixed it. So all you twitts will now see my blog posts in my Twitter feed, @LeeSonko

I switched from using the TwitterTools WordPress plugin to using TwitterFeed.

Changed WordPress Spam Strategy

WordPress settings: Comment author must have a previously approved comment. (otherwise it goes to moderation)
NoSpamNX blocks about 120 comments/day.
Akismet puts about 5 comments/day into moderation.
Spam Free WordPress (Please copy and paste this string to write a comment) blocks an unknown number of comments/day.

That’s pretty good. Let’s try for better.

I disabled Spam Free WordPress.
I told my NoSpamNX to block any comments with “http://” or “https://” in them. If a person writes a link, I can fix it by hand.

We’ll see how that goes.

A Fix for the WordPress Upgrade Loop

When I upgrade WordPress (just went to 3.4.2) I have the the following issue:

It says:

Database Update Required
WordPress has been updated! Before we send you on your way, we have to update your database to the newest version.
The update process may take a little while, so please be patient.
Update WordPress Database

So I click “Update WordPress Database” and then see:

Update Complete
Your WordPress database has been successfully updated!
Continue

I then click “Continue” and it loops back to the first message! Argh!

Here is the fix:

It is apparently a caching problem with Google Chrome. Go to Settings | History | Clear all browsing data. Select “Empty the cache” and “delete cookies and other site and plug-in data”. Select “the past hour”. Click “Clear browsing data”. Done.

Installed CloudFlare CDN

CloudFlare is a CDN (Content Delivery Network) and website optimizer.

Dreamhost invited me to a free CloudFlare subscription. So far, it looks like it’s really improved website performance on both my blogs and wikis. I’m not sure how it works under the hood with the caching, CDNing, and threat protection, and that bugs me. But hey, faster website!