Drove it off the lot: September 22nd 1998
Drove it to the junk yard: April 20th 2012
Aged 13 years, 6 months, 30 days. 135,840 miles.
Man, I loved that car!
As part of the CAP program, the state of California bought the car for $1,500. I think the program exists because the state “feels bad” that their emissions standards are so high that they’ll buy cars that run OK but don’t pass smog test. Actually they have money for two related programs, one where they’ll take any car, and one where the car fails smog. This year (like most years) the “regular” program ran out of money but the “fails smog” program still had money.
The Check Engine light on my car kept coming on, giving a code of “random misfire”. 2 mechanics and $1,400 couldn’t fix it, and I really needed to sell the car since I’m tightening my belt and going back to school. So…
1998 CHRYSLER SEBRING JX Convertible, bright red
V6 2.5 liter
AC, power windows, power locks, cruise control, power steering, tilt wheel steering, powered driver’s seat, nice aftermarket Pioneer DEH-P6700MP stereo & Premium Sound System, powered soft top convertible roof
alloy wheels, dual air bags, automatic transmission, double wishbone independent suspension, full size spare tire, intermittent wipers, tachometer, reading lights, vanity mirror & light, anti-lock brakes, keyless entry, powered side mirrors, original owner, no accidents, complete maintenance records
Issues with the car:
* Check engine light
* Fuel gauge doesn’t register properly below 1/4 tank
* fan only works on high or off
* due for a new timing belt soon
* Oil pressure light sometimes comes on, revving engine slightly fixes. One guess is the Oil Pressure Sending Unit
* cloth top is worn
* when filling gas tank, fuel stops before tank is full. A new gas tank vapor check valve is needed
* some scratches in the paint
* electric rear window defroster not functioning
* needs alignment
* brake rotors are worn
* wheels need balancing
* previous owner loves it very much
Single owner. I’ve got all the repair and oil change receipts.