With a sensor and some processing power, it shouldn’t be hard to make a toaster that can actually make perfect toast every time. I’m astounded that such a product doesn’t exist. It wouldn’t be expensive in large quantities.
Possible sensors include
- visual camera
- infrared camera
- gas sensor – Sparkfun has $5 alcohol and carbon monoxide sensors. I wonder what burnt toast “smells” like.
- standard “darkness” knob
- ambient thermometer
Possible controls include
- shutting off at the right time
- a bell to alert the consumer of soon-to-be-done toast and done-it’s-getting-cold toast
- delivering different power levels to different parts of the bread (eh, sounds expensive and not useful)
- changing the wattage, allowing “keep warm”, “warm throughout” (no more lava pop tarts!), and “crisp” settings
- Easy to use interface
- Technical challenge: it’s never been done!
- Really, it’s never been done?
I should make this.
PS. Ha, this fancy $130 toaster sucks. I can do better.