This message is about 11 months overdue but I still have to say that last September, for our birthdays, Megan and I went to Chez Panisse for lunch. It was an amazing food experience, a culinary touchstone for years to come! Going to Chez Panisse had been on my bucket list for almost 20 years and, having gone, yes, it deserved its place!
I still dearly love fire. I saw this today and squealed with delight!
(click to load the 10 second video or go to the link below)
Abigail demanded that this cute dinosaur be her first 3D printed toy. Michael’s brother Devon printed it for her and she loves it!
Playland-Not-At-The-Beach is Closing on Labor Day. They had a good run! I went a couple times, took a few dates there and enjoyed the experience immensely!
Tens of thousands of people have been getting spam claiming to be from Lee.org. (Update 8-4-18: HUNDREDS of thousands 🙁 ) First, I’m sorry about that! Second, it’s not actually coming from me. Third, I documented below how you too can stop spam from being spoofed from your domain.
I was alerted to this when I got 20,000 email bounces last week from a letter sent in my name to probably many many more than 20,000 people. That one started:
From: Mr-Williams <lee@lee dat org>
Subject: Re: Your Outstanding Bill Payment notification
How are you doing today? I am Pleased to inform you that we have made arrangement with bank of America to release your payment sum of $10.3 Million dollars…
Happily, I fixed it. My (geekspeak alert!) SPF record was incomplete. I had my SPF in DNS set to:
TXT v=spf1 include:netblocks.dreamhost.com
but it should have been set to:
TXT v=spf1 include:netblocks.dreamhost.com -all
Without the “-all”, SPF wasn’t working to stop spam in my name.
Here’s what one of the spam email headers looked like:
Authentication-Results: spf=neutral (sender IP is 22.214.171.124 (In Brazil, definitely not from my mail host!!!))
smtp.mailfrom=lee.org; hotmail.com; dkim=none (message not signed)
header.d=none;hotmail.com; dmarc=none action=none header.from=lee.org;
Received-SPF: Neutral (protection.outlook.com: 126.96.36.199 is neither
permitted nor denied by domain of lee.org)
MXToolbox is what keyed me in to what was going wrong. Thanks!
And thanks to Shehz for the helpful comment!
I added a DMARC record to my DNS
It’s a TXT record under lee.org that looks like so:
_dmarc TXT v=DMARC1; p=quarantine; ruf=mailto:[myDMARCemailaddress]@lee.org; rua=mailto:[myDMARCemailaddress]@lee.org; sp=n
So now email receivers know definitively what to do with spam coming to them from lee.org. And I get a report of when a bounce happens. I initially set p to “none” and got a few correct DMARC reports. Now it’s “quarantine” and in a little while I’ll set it to “reject”.
Update 8-3-18 #2
With DMARC enabled, I’m getting fifteen hundred reports a day telling me that spam “from” lee.org is being blocked. Ugh, sorry world! That tide is stopping now!
I got help with DMARC from these sites: