Split Pea Soup with Homemade Croutons
Split Pea Soup w/ Homemade Croutons
(from America’s Test Kitchen)
2 cups green split peas
2 TB butter
1 yellow onion
2-3 garlic cloves, minced
7 cups water
ham steak, cut into 3-4 large chunks
3 strips raw bacon
2 thyme sprigs
2 bay leaves
1 rib of celery
• Check peas for stones, rinse quickly.
• Put butter, onion, salt in large soup pot. Sauté several minutes.
• Add garlic, sauté just 30 sec – 1 minute
• Add water to pot.
• Add ham, bacon, thyme, bay leaves, and rinsed peas to pot.
• Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes. Peas should be tender but not falling apart.
• Remove ham and shred ham with 2 forks.
• Add carrots and celery.
• Return to simmer. Cover for 30 min.
• Add shredded ham back into pot.
• Remove bacon, thyme sprigs, and bay leaves.
• Add a little ground pepper.
• Serve and add croutons on top.
3 TBS butter
Dash of Olive oil
3 slices bread (any kind, even gluten-free), cut into cubes
• Add butter and oil to pan over med heat
• Then add bread cubes
• Toss for about 10 min. until crispy