Fall Savory Pie
(1st made Jan 2013 in Bodega Bay with Megan, Hannah, Caitlin, and Gail)
- 2 – 2 ½ cups fresh Kobucha squash or “pumpkin”
- 2-3 cups cooked lentils
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- 2 bunches fresh sage, chopped
- 3 TBS coconut oil
- 3 shallots, chopped
- 2 lbs. cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup red wine
- 3-5 cups kale (or chard), finely chopped
- 3 large carrots, shredded
- 1 can/jar of artichoke hearts in water, cut small
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pie crusts
- ½-1 cup Parmesan cheese
- Salt and pepper to taste
To Prepare filling:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Bake squash in oven until tender, carve out and smash with small amount of butter. Add salt & pepper to taste.
- Cook lentils as per package (or internet). Do not overcook. Rinse with cool water, strain, set aside.
- Sautee shallot in pan with oil until translucent (1-3 min). Add mushrooms and sauté (3-5 min). Add wine and bring to boil, simmer until all liquid is gone. Set aside.
- Combine pumpkin, feta, sage, kale, carrots, artichokes, garlic, and lentils.
- Add mushrooms.
- Divide in half and fill pie tins (okay to mound filling above level of pie crust edge). Top with Parmesan cheese.
- Place pies in oven, bake approximately 30 minutes. Until golden brown on top and hot all the way through.
- Let cool 5-10 min. ENJOY!
Made my own pie crust with buckwheat flour from this recipe:
- 1 1/2 c. buckwheat flour
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 c. all-vegetable shortening (I used butter)
- 3 tbs. (or so) water
Do not pre bake unless the recipe calls for it!
- Mix flour and salt in a bowl.
- Cut in shortening until mixture resembles coarse mealy crumbs.
- Add water and gently mix to form a dough. Add more water if necessary.
- Roll out and put in pie pan.
- If pre baking:
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Prick bottom and sides and bake 10-15 minutes.
I also used some techniques from this recipe (http://simplygluten-free.com/blog/2011/10/perfect-gluten-free-pie-crust-recipe.html), such as…
- making the water really cold
- butter in freezer
- making disc of dough, in fridge, then rolling out between wax paper sheets